Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Archive '07 - LOST in Tubeland


I spent this Sunday night not watching the Emmys. Well, I'm lying a bit. I watched the first ten minutes, during which time some Family Guy cartoon characters did a musical number about how much TV sucks. This was followed by the host (some pasty bland guy from American Idol) who made the quite accurate point that he could not fill the shoes of his predecessors. At this point I came to my senses and turned off the TV.

After checking out some results online, I do regret though that I missed seeing my favorite current television actor awarded. Lost is my favorite show (maybe of all time! I'm not kidding.) and a big part of that is Terry O'Quinn's consistently fascinating performance as John Locke. At some point, I hope to post my theories about Lost, but the bottom line is, I believe Locke is the key to the show.

This is all colored by the fact that I don't really watch TV. OK, I'm lying again. I watch movies and news shows all the time, but to keep from having no life at all, I really only watch one series show regularly at a time. I realize I'm missing out on a lot because of this, but choices must be made. I've never seen an episode of ER for example and I like George Clooney!

Right now and for the foreseeable future, it's Lost. It started out as a fun mystery thriller, but this last season has been amazing, revealing depths that could never have been guessed at the beginning. Can't wait for Season 4 in January!

Just for fun, I'm thinking of what preceded Lost as the ONE show I watched. In approximate reverse order they were The West Wing, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Sopranos, South Park and Seinfeld. For the record, I vote All in the Family as the best all time sitcom.

Speaking of awards shows, I'm jazzed that Jon Stewart will be back hosting the Oscars next year. If they could just have him alternate with Steve martin every year, we'd be set.

No comments: